Thursday, May 26, 2011

8 buses One Boat/ first morning in Guatemala

concrete walls rise to meet rusted roof tops all in haze through smoking chimneys
clothes lines and power lines run over the town like some tremendous web
appearing as to hold the town from sliding down the precipitous slope
all resting and nestled at the forplain of a volcano
bearing the same name as the town it so quietly shrouds over
I sit on the balcony in the early morning pearing out over the still town
the only sounds to be heard is the far off tuk tuks climbing the hills like a struggling  lawn mower
a refreshing feeling runs through my body in total happiness with the sight of a new place and country
colorfull clothes drying on the lines sway in the wind almost like tibetan  prayer flags
the streets of the town not wide enough for a car twist through like a labyrinth
dogs roam free and innocent around every corner
women walk with baskets of warm banana bread balanced upon there heads
wearing lustrous skirts of indigo and fuchsia heald together by a glittering sash
the smell of dark rich coffee roasting inside every cafe as I pass by
smiling children shout Hello!!! as they run past on the way to school
a lazy morning is spent over espresso and plates of fruit and granola in a warm garden of mango and avocado trees bringing shade from the rising sun




this is just something I wrote after my first morning in guatemala feeling great about my travels

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! You are writing with such feeling and description I am so proud. I almost feel as though I might be there with you. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete